The RSPCA recommend 120cm x 60cm as the minimum cage size for 2 guinea pigs, and to add 30cm length for each additional guinea pig. This two tier option is a good way of gaining some extra space for your pets if you have limited room in your house, or to separate pigs that may not be getting along.
- Made as two stackable pet homes, where the top tier can be lifted off the bottom tier making it easier to clean.
- Lower tier accessed via the drop-down front door which can be removed completely. The upper tier is accessed from the hinged roof.
- The ladder comes with side bars and ladder rungs for your pet’s safety, and can also be removed for easier cleaning.
- A small 250ml tin of pet-safe clear matte water-based wood sealer is included to seal the base floor of your pet home, making it resistant to urine and stains. We also sell an appropriate wood sealer paint brush if you need one.
- We recommend our Bottle Fixings pack (see photo) for securely attaching a Water Bottle to the timber walls.
Please note the toys, water bottles and other accessories are not included but can be added to your order separately.
- Made from 20mm kiln-dried solid timber frame, 18mm solid wood panelling, 13 x 13mm square galvanised zinc wire mesh, and plywood base.
- Lower and upper tier plywood bases supplied untreated, with a 250ml pot of pet-safe, clear matt wood sealer included. Two coats will need to be applied prior to use.
- Requires some simple self-assembly (screws and instructions supplied)
- External dimensions: Length 120cm, Width 60cm, Total height of each tier 40cm plus 2cm for roof (max height 82cm)
- Internal dimensions: Length 116cm, Width 56cm, Height of each tier 38cm
Rachel H. –
I have three extremely happy guinea pigs! They’re almost skiing down the ramp and loving the popcorn onto the floor.
Also, I wanted to say that this was the easiest thing I’ve ever put together. The coloured dots are inspired and the predrilled holes make it so simple.
I have a question – can a third tier go on the top?
HAMSTER HOMES REPLY – Yes Rachel you can add another tier. We recommend a maximum of 3 stacked tiers. See our facebook page for some customer examples.
This is a perfect home for our two rescue guinea girl pigs. We have relatively small, but tall rooms in our house, so two tiers seemed a good way to go. It’s beautifully crafted, and was easy to assemble. We also got it on wheels, so during the working week the girls are wheeled into the home office, and at the weekend they’re wheeled into the family room at the back of the house. I’ve knocked one star off purely because the ramps, as beautifully made as they are, are too steep and slippery for our girls. We had to line them with carpet before they would use them, and occasionally need to put a block under the end of the larger ramp to lessen the gradient, or have to put two play tunnels (made of fleece) along the length of the ramp to encourage them to use it. That said, this may just be our girls and that other piggies wouldn’t be so fazed by it. We also need to install a balcony along the edge of the loft hatch as they keep rolling their rigid play tunnel into it and blocking it up. But it’s a fab cage, and everyone who’s seem it has admired it!
HAMSTER HOMES REPLY: Thanks Rachel for the constructive feedback about the ramp – we’ve already made design changes as a result of your comments.
I originally ordered this 2 tier hutch, but then changed my order to a bespoke hutch 180cm x 60cm single tier – perfect for 3 guinea pigs. Its fantastic and great quality! Got absolutely super service throughout as well.